Yasla is a stand-alone software package specially designed and developed for sign language teaching.
Yasla Lab is the basis for setting up a classical language lab with a flexible software solution, including network support, privileged observation and feedback modes for teachers and specialized administration tools.
Yasla Pro is the single-user version for teachers and students when working outside the language lab.
In addition to the full featured macOS applications Yasla Pro and Yasla Lab, Yasla Web is a simplified, platform-independent web application for web browsers.
Yasla has now been continuously developed and professionally supported for 15 years, and we’re proud of our short response times when support becomes necessary.
Built for sign language labs
- Synchronous playback of source and translations
- Consecutive and simultaneous recording modes
- Many media types: Audio, video, text, scrolling text (Teleprompter-like), closed captioning, pictures
Track and segment based workflow
- Separate tracks for source material, interpretations and comments
- Create, edit and delete tracks independent from other tracks
- Editable track segments, with many tools
- Separate tracks for comments
- Specialized recording mode: Other material is paused while comments are given
- Adjustable display of source material, translations and comments
- Different layouts: grid, picture in picture, picture next to picture, with adjustable sizing
- Hide/show individual tracks
- Visual placeholders for audio tracks, customizable
- Timeline view, shows assignment of material
- Extensive navigation tools
- Adjustable playback speed: Slow down playback to help beginners while keeping sources and recorded translations in sync
- Non-destructive editing
- Unlimited undo
- Optional camera and microphone preview
- Adjustable recording countdown
- Customizable user interface
Import and Export
- Import of many video, audio and other media formats
- Export to MP4 or QuickTime formats
- Audio export
- “What You See Is What You Get” export: Preservation of track layout, arrangement, etc.
- Export of text tracks to text files
- Import and export of text tracks from/to SubRipTitle (.srt) subtitle files
- Extensive metadata: Authors, title, course, time, date, etc.
- Spotlight importer enables systemwide search
- optional document history
Durable and economical
- based on Apple Mac computers, no specialized high-priced video hardware required
- high quality hardware with long life expectancy
- replenish-able without system change
- Not a cloud service
- No external data processing or storage
- Graphical overview of workstations and student activities
- Live access to video + audio feed of student workstations
- Feeback via back channel
- Local server for handouts and submissions
- Transfer of open documents from student workstations
- Disabling of student to student connections
Interconnection of student workstations*
- Live translation of video and/or audio from another workstation
- Students can watch other students
- Simultaneous recording of local camera / microphone and remote signal
- Zero configuration networking: other workstations are detected automatically
- Tamper resistant installation for all users of a computer
- Optional lock down of critical preferences like video and audio settings
- Integrates with common administration tools and workflows
- URL schemes allow integration with LMS, media servers etc.
*) Yasla Lab only
Status 2022-11, subject to change